- Human Resources
The City of Kilgore’s Student Internship Program offers an enormous range of challenging opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students. The City is working with area colleges and universities to ensure participation from a diverse group of students with varied interest, majors and backgrounds.
An internship provides eligible students with the opportunity to work in departments within the City organization. Students are enabled to link theory with practice, gain real-world experience and develop specialized skills that cannot be taught in the classroom. The program also provides opportunities for City employees to serve as mentors.
This program is not an employment contract nor does it guarantee employment with the City of Kilgore upon completion of the program. Internships can be discontinued at any time. Student internships are a non-paid position.
- Internships are eligible for college credit
- Work locations and schedules vary by department
- Duties vary by department
- Starting and ending dates based upon the needs of the department
- Student interns are supported by Intern Mentor and Internship Coordinator
- Student must:
- Be enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Commit to the entire internship session
- Have completed 2 years of program study (preferred)
- Possess a willingness to learn, positive attitude, and self-motivation
Student intern applications are accepted on a continuous basis. Applications, resumes, and enrollment verification forms should be submitted to the Internship Coordinator and then will be forwarded to the department that has requested a student intern.
For more information about the program contact the Internship Coordinator at 903-984-5081.
Become more familiar with local government management, specifically administration and finance; this position would assist the finance department by updating the city’s budget document. This person would also assist the city in the creation of a capital improvement plan, strategic plan, and performance measurement program. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word are required.
Police Department Intern
Interns will assist in basic operations including patrol, investigations, communications, and public relations. In addition to this, they will also assist in crime analysis, data entry/records/training, public relations, and other opportunities.