Animal Control

Proof of Rabies Vaccinations

Under the City of Kilgore code it is required that any dog or cat over the age of 4 months be rabies vaccinated. The rabies vaccination must be administered by a vet. It shall be unlawful for any person who owns or harbors a vaccinated animal to fail or refuse to exhibit the certificate of vaccination upon request.

Dog at Large

It constitutes a public nuisance for the owner or harborer to fail to restrain their dog or allow it to be at large and is a violation of city ordinance.

Unrestrained dog.

Chickens and Roosters

No roosters are allowed in residential zones. Up to 6 chickens are permitted in a residential zone. The chickens must be in a pen at least 100 feet away from every building or structure used for sleeping, dining, or living, other than the owner's residence, or in which any business is conducted. This is not to be construed to prevent owners from keeping pet animals inside their residence.  The pens must be clean.It is a public nuisance for any owner, occupant, or other person to allow any enclosure, yard, shelter, pen, structure, or similar place used for keeping animals or fowl to become unsanitary or offensive by reason of odor, or create a condition that becomes a breeding place for fleas or other vectors, or which creates any health hazard or nuisance to adjacent property owners. 

Chickens and Roosters


 It is unlawful for any person owning or harboring any animal to willfully withhold food, water or shelter from any animal so that its health is endangered or to cause it to suffer unduly.  A shelter under the City of Kilgore code is 3 walls and a roof.  It is neglect and causing a animal to suffer unduly to trap a animal and leave it out in the elements.

Under fed dog.

TNR for Cats

The City of Kilgore is in collaboration with  the 3rd party Wildcatters TNR to help control the feral cat population.  The objective of this program is to humanely trap, spay or neuter, vaccinate, ear tip (for identification purposes) and return each feral cat to its original habitat or colony in its designated area.  Make contact with animal control to report a colony. To go to the Wildcatters web page for more information click here

Cat colony


If you see injured wildlife leave it alone and contact Animal Control at 903-988-4120 or the Kilgore Police Department at 903 983-1559. Skunks,coyotes,foxes,raccoons and bats are all high risk for Rabies as well as other zoonotic diseases.

Bat close up