Q:  What is the Fiscal Year for the City?
 A:  The City's fiscal year is October 1 to September 30.
Q:  When does the budget process begin?
 A:  The development of the budget begins in the fall of each year when the Council and City Manager establish priorities for the upcoming budget reflecting policy and program concerns of the community at large.  In the spring of each year, the City Manager developes a budget calendar and instructs department heads to submit their proposed budget requests.
Q:  When is the budget adopted?
 A:  The City Council discusses the proposed budget during public hearings and adopts a new budget prior to October 1st. 
Q:  What is the City's Ad Valorem tax rate?
 A:  2016 property tax rate is .50572 cents per $100 of valuation
Q:  What is the average home value in Kilgore?
 A:  The 2015 average market value for a home in Kilgore, Gregg County is $116,998 with a taxable value of $92,865. 
     The 2015 average market value for a home in Kilgore, Rusk County is $103,395 with a taxable value of $83,037.
Q:  What is the City's sales tax rate?
 A:  The sales tax rate for Kilgore in Gregg County is 8.25%.  The rate for Rusk County is 7.75%.  Of these rates, 6.25% is State sales tax, 1.0% is City, and 0.5% is Economic Development.   The County of Gregg collects 0.5%.  The County of Rusk does not collect a sales tax. 
Q:  What is the City's Hotel occupancy tax rate?
 A: The city collects 7% of the room rate.  The city uses up to 15% of these revenues to fund a grant program for the arts. The remainder of these funds are used in compliance with Chapter 351 of the Texas Tax Code to fund historic preservation projects, sports tourism projects and to promote the hotel, convention and tourism industry in Kilgore.